Friday, September 5, 2008

the students life

Oh September, time for fall to come a blowing in, time for sharpened pencils and new backpacks, for new shoes and old friends. Time for school!
In my city when September hits, you can tell. There is a fresh crop of newly graduated high schoolers roaming the city after orientation at the university or college. They come in all shapes and sizes, in all different ranks of good looking and interestingness. Some speak different languages some lived provinces away. But regardless of where they came from or what they are doing here, they all have one thing in common. they are students.
I happen to have joined the masses a semester ago, and am perfectly happy to be lumped in with all of the other discount getting, bus filling, students.
And so this week I started on the journey, my head filled with new ideas and excitement for new classes.
The first week in college is usually quite dry. They hand out a syllabus and poke fun at past classes, trying to lighten the mood, all the while hinting that you should NOT be like the fools in their last class. Something I have heard a lot of my teachers mention, is kids who have wandered into there classes by mistake, realize they aren't in the right place half way through, and don't leave, because it would be rude. Missing their real class and sitting in on a pointless one.
In fact just yesterday my teacher welcomed those individuals and hopped they enjoyed his class.
I thought this was totally dumb, as if you wouldn't just get up and leave. I would.
This morning I ran into my 10 o'clock class almost late for the first class. sat at the back and listened to the intro my teacher was giving.......10 minutes later it was clear to me that I was not in composition. And that this class I was in was very very much not the right class. I sat for a while contemplating what to do. the room was packed, not only had I walked in, in the middle of him talking but i had to run in front of the class to make it to an open seat. I had 2 options
A) make a dash for the door and hope this teacher didn't notice (unlikely due to the fact that he was standing in front of the door). or B) sit through this random class.
I chose B.
I have now become that example that everyone laughs at, at the beginning of each semester. I later found out my class was in that room just 2 hours earlier. However it was kinda nice to be in a class, and not have to take notes or really even remember things that aren't interesting. The teacher had some pretty interesting stories. Also a lot of interesting views on my religion. I was double relived that wasn't my class when I realized that he was one of the Mormon hating teachers I had heard of. Poor kids that raised their hands when he ask who was Mormon....I mean Christian (In his words) In the class.
Well happy September all. I'm sure I'm not the only one loving that school has started again!

No comments: