Thursday, December 3, 2009

in a smokey bar

She had seen him before in this smokey bar. He sat in the corner drinking whiskey, a story in his eyes.
She watched him for a few minutes, her friends laughed and drank around her.
She needed a reason to go over there, to find out what he was drowning in hard liquor.
She stood up ready to aproch him.
He stood up, walked on to the stage and pick up the guitar leaning on the side of the stage.
He settled on a stowl and started playing.
No one was really listening as he began to sing.
No one but her.
She listened to him, watching his fingers slide up and down the neck of the guitar.
She looked at his brown eyes, so full.
He finished and walked back to the corner where a freash glass of whiskey awaited him.
She stood up ready to approch him.
She walked over.
He looked up at her.
"Can I buy you a drink?"
"I don't know the last time someone bought me a drink, it didn't end well."
"Why not?"
"Why don't I buy you a drink, we can talk about it."
"I'm tired of talking about it."
 She had seen him before in this smokey bar.
"Last time you ordered beer. Why the sudden need for something stronger?"
"Broken heart."
"I'm sorry."
"I know you are."
"I just wanted to make sure you were ok."
"I will be, when I finish this drink."
She stood up ready to forget him.
She walked away.
She never saw him in that smokey bar again.
But he always held her heart.